Monday, January 30, 2012

Whoa...I totally pigged out. Didn't I? Wait...maybe not.

Yesterday was my son's 4th birthday and I prepared a feast for him with lots of treats. Pancakes in the morning. Bacon. Real maple syrup. Eggs, then Doritos later in the day and tacos and juice boxes and juice and actual Coca Cola which he never ever gets to drink but once or twice a year...

Chocolate cake and ice cream...

...and of course I partook of ALL OF IT. Plus some wine in the evening. I felt like a real glutton. Like I had stuffed myself. Once again I was excusing myself for having a day of celebration with more calories than I should have had.

But when I sat down and tabulated all the foods and calories I had eaten for the day...it was merely 100 calories over my daily allotment to maintain my current weight. And probably turned out to be a calorie deficit if I add in the running around and house cleaning and child wrangling we did during the birthday party.

I think the point here is...I've been trying to teach myself what a sane portion is for about 4 months now. Every day I tabulate my calories trying to get myself accustomed to healthy quantities of food. After 4 months, I may actually be learning a thing or two. Neat!

For folks out there trying to shed some pounds, I highly recommend counting calories. I'm not gonna lie...it's a pain in the ass. But there's really no other way around it. It's too easy to have a warped sense of what constitutes a Portion.

It's helped me out immensely to teach myself, over time, what is Enough Food without being Too Much. I can't stop counting calories, though. Not for a while. I'm going to try to stick to counting calories for the next year. Every damn day. Even when I've met my target weight. Because I've come too far, now, and I don't want to have to do this again and be fat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment